Wines We Pour

$11.       Kung Fu Girl Riesling 2013

From Charles Smith Wines:

100% Riesling

White stone fruit, white peach, apricot, cool and delicious. Think Fuji apple, shiro plum, lime leaves. Focused and a very long, minerally finish.Kung Fu Girl.....too pure!

90 points, Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate

Clean, fresh and incredibly pure, the 2013 Charles Smith Riesling Kung Fu Girl is shockingly good given the price (and the volume, as they produce a massive amount of this cuvee). Lychee, citrus, mint and classic minerality all show here, and it’s medium-bodied, beautifully balanced and finishes cleanly, with perfectly integrated acidity and only subtle sweetness. Enjoy this rock star effort over the coming year or two.

91 points, Wine Spectator, "Top 100 Wine" (2014 and 2013), "Best Buy" (fifth year in a row)

“Crisp and sleek, with juicy, expansive nectarine and peach flavors that play against citrusy acidity, finishing with zing and a sense of softness that lets the finish keep singing.” —Harvey Steiman

Vineyard:
Evergreen Vineyard 
was planted in 1998 by Jerry Milbrandt, the vineyard rows lie along a stretch of steep cliffs above the Columbia River, one of the state’s newest AVA’s, Ancient Lakes. A cooler site due to river influence, the soils are composed of fragmented basalt, gravel silt, and caliche deposited during ice age floods. As all are of Milbrandt’s vineyards, Evergreen is farmed using sustainable practices. This site produces fruit with sublime mineral character and the acid balance that winemakers adore.

$12.        The Crusher Chardonnay 2011

From The Crusher:

Our Chardonnay has a beautiful golden color and a signature Clarksburg aroma of freshly cut pineapple, followed by gentle notes of sugar cookie and toasty oak. This mellow, well-rounded wine is buttery yet fruity, with vanilla cream, blanched almond and canned pineapple ­avors. It’s marked by soft, balanced acidity and natural sweetness, making it a spectacular food wine. Pair with rich dishes such as eggs benedict, pumpkin ravioli or salmon ‑sh cakes.

Appellation

The Clarksburg AVA is an up and coming wine region located in California’s Sacramento Delta. The area was quickly discovered by grape growers attracted by a microclimate which closely mirrored that of nearby Napa Valley. The soils here are a combination of poorly-draining clay and rich loam, meaning vines experience nutrient-rich and sometimes arid conditions. During the growing season, warm days give way to cooling afternoon breezes from the San Francisco Bay, dropping temperatures down 30 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit from their daytime highs. This mass of cool air allows wine grapes to retain more acidity than those grown in similarly warm regions.

$13.       Grouchau Cellars Commuter Cuvee Pinot Noir 2013

From Gouchau Cellars:

This wine is all about the bright fresh purity of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir! We age the wine 7.5 months on its lees and rack it directly to tank just prior to bottling. Only 10% new French Oak is used in this wine. The remaining 90% of the barrels were used at least twice before. Bright and juicy with sweet spice, earth and loads of red and black raspberry fruit. This is a wine for early consumption but will easily age a few years.

$14.       Carmel Road Monterey Pinot Noir 2013

From Carmel Road:

The slightest differences in clonal composition and terroir can have a terrific impact on Monterey Pinot Noir, yet the essentials remain. The wines are bright, crisp and silky, with a perfumed fragrance leading to complex flavors ranging from cherry pie filling to rhubarbs, pomegranates and dusty brown spices, all accented by smoky oak.

Fruit-forward, with flavors of raspberries, cherries, mulberries, cranberries, pomegranates and persimmon, balanced with savory notes. Oak adds just a touch of smoky wood. Racy acidity and a saline character that’s classic in Monterey wines.

Best Descriptors

"It's not quite vapo rub"

"Tastes like a fruit roll-up"

"All of your descriptors are making me want another sip!"


 

 

Question of the Day
Todays Question

what grape am i?

-I am a dark blue colored grape

-I am used as a blending grape, but i am great all by myself

-you had me at bordeaux

-i am one of the most popular grapes, It was said that one year there were 260,000 hectares (640,000 acres) of me planted globally!

-i am an offspring of cabernet franc

-i am high in alcohol and low in acidity

-when you taste me, some things you will find are blueberry, cocoa, black pepper, mint, and blackberry

 

i just put andy to the test...he was wrong!! see if you can guess which grape i am! answer revealed at the next blind tasting league!

 

 

WineCheetSheet